One dead in Takoradi, others injured in electrocution after rains

Following a two-hour downpour in the Sekondi Takoradi Metropolis of the Western Region today [Tuesday], a school pupil yet to be identified, has been confirmed dead. Four other adults are also unconscious, after they were electrocuted by electrical cables which fell to the ground during the rain. Narrating the incident to journalists, an eyewitnesses said, “a Kenney seller during the downpour got electrocuted when she tried to step into the rain to cover her food stuff.” She was said to have “remained stiff and unconscious for over an hour, immediately she stepped into the electrically charged gushing water. A police officer who gathered the strength to assist her, also got electrocuted and remained stiff for over five minutes before he could get out with the Kenney seller,” this eyewitness added. Another eyewitness said that “two other women also got electrocuted and remained stiff when another person, who is a school boy also got electrocuted.” All the five victims according to the eyewitness, have been rushed to the SDA Clinic at the Takoradi Market Circle for treatment. The point where electrically charged cables got in touch with the gushing water is yet to be known, though some suspect it might have been caused by the many illegal connections around the market. Doctors at the SDA Hospital at the Takoradi Market Circle, pronounced the yet to be identified school pupil dead, with the rest of the victims transferred to the Effia Nkwanta Regional Hospital in Sekondi. Police personnel rendered homeless Meanwhile, scores of police personnel at the Effiakuma police quarters have been rendered homeless following the downpour. –

Source :citifmonline.com