A Naval officer and the wife of a military officer have died in Takoradi in the Western region after they consumed a locally manufactured drink known as Mahogany bitters.
The Naval officer according to reports, went to the popular pub known as ‘Pito Bar’ to consume the bitters in order to gain appetite for his evening meal.
However, he collapsed immediately after consuming the drink and was rushed to the hospital but was pronounced dead upon arrival. The wife of the military officer also died under similar circumstances.
Some other people who were rushed to the hospital after consuming the same drink are reportedly responding to treatment, according to Empire FM’s Emmanuel Ohene Gyan.
Meanwhile, the Police in Takoradi have arrested the owner of the popular joint while investigations continue into the incident.
Samples of the drink have also been taken by the police for testing.
Residents of the area, however, suspect foul play in the death of the two people, Ohene Gyan reported.
They claim that someone with an agenda must have poisoned the drink since mahogany bitters has been a popular drink without any side effects over the years.