Some students of Koforidua-based Ghana Senior High School (GHANASS) are receiving treatment following a suspected case of food poisoning.
Citifmonline is reporting that more than 50 male and female students of the school complained of stomach aches after eating waakye at school’s canteen on Sunday, and had to be rushed to St. Joseph’s Hospital the next day.
“When Citi News visited the emergency ward of the hospital, some students were being attended to by nurses on duty. Some of the students had been put on drips, whilst others had been discharged and were in the process of completing documentation to confirm their release,” the news portal reports.
One of the affected students said:“I bought waakye at the bush canteen and in the evening on Sunday, I started running, others who also ate at the dining hall also started complaining of tummy ache so we were rushed here.”
The situation has forced some parents to rush to the hospital to check on their wards.
The Medical Director in charge of the St Joseph’s Hospital, Dr. David Kupualor, has said the facility is trying its best to manage the situation.
“A lot of students were rushed here from Sunday evening and Monday with complaints about stomach aches, clinical research done on them indicated they had diarrhoea so we quickly administered treatment and medication and some are on admission while others have been treated and discharged,” he said
Samples of the stools from the affected students have been sent to the Regional Disease Control for further examinations, the Doctor told Citi News.
Meanwhile, the Assistant Headmaster of GHANASS in charge of Academics, Frederick Kwaku Owusu, called for calm.
The school’s canteen has also been closed down pending investigation.