Court orders lady to stay away from ex-boyfriend

A 25-year old unemployed lady who threw a broken wine glass at her boyfriend’s left rib during a misunderstanding over another woman, has been ordered to stay 100 meters away from him.

She will in default of the order go to jail for 12 months.

Bilasssa Mansah is also said to have pulled a cutlass on the complainant, destroyed his door and centre table, and poured water into rice and stew prepared by the complainant.

Passing the sentence, an Accra Circuit Court further ordered her to sign a bond to be of good behaviour for 24 months or in default serve six months imprisonment.

Mansah charged with causing harm pleaded guilty, saying that she did not know what came over her.

According to her, their relationship was not over.

The trial judge, Mrs Abena Oppong Adjin-Doku on December 29, convicted her but deferred Mansah’s sentence to Monday, January 3, 2018.

On her return from Police cells, Mansah who was unwell told the court that she felt uncomfortable in cells adding that she collapsed whiles in lawful custody.

The trial judge then told her that next time if she repeats her bad conduct, she (Mansah) would go to jail for a long time.

Prosecuting Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Agnes Boafo said the complainant Stephen Nsoh is self-employed residing at Adenta- Frafraha, Accra, whilst Mansah also resides in the same vicinity.

ASP Boafo said during early part of December, this year, the complainant and Mansah entered into a relationship.

However, during the course of the relationship, a misunderstanding ensued between them and they separated for a while.

ASP Boafo said on December 20, this year, at about 0800 hours, Mansah went to the complainant‘s house to demand her wine glass and met another lady with him.

The prosecution said Mansah got angry and when the complainant presented the wine glass to her she refused to leave.

Mansah then informed the complainant that she was pregnant and he should give her some money to seek medical care, but the complainant who knew that she (accused) was undergoing a family planning regime neglected the comments about pregnancy

The prosecution said the complainant’s behaviour infuriated the accused who caused damage to the complainant’s centre table and poured water into his rice and stew which was on fire.

According to the prosecution, a co-tenant in the case separated the accused and the complainant.

The co-tenant advised Mansah to leave but she pulled out a cutlass and dared the complainant to come out.

Mansah further destroyed the complainant’s trap door with the cutlass.

When the co-tenant succeeded in collecting the cutlass from Mansah, the complainant came out of the room to pick up a metal bucket.

The prosecution said Mansah collected the bucket and attempted to hit the complainant’s head with the bucket. The complainant, however held the bucket and the edge of the bucket cut the complainant’s left thumb.

Whiles the complainant was bleeding, Mansah picked up the broken wine glass and threw it at the complainant’s left rib.

The incident was reported to the Police and complainant was given a medical report form to seek medical attention.

The prosecution said the complainant was rushed to the Pantang Hospital but due to the seriousness of his condition, he was transferred to the Legon Government Hospital where he was operated upon and discharged on December 26, this year.

Source: GNA